Passengers' rights in international rail services
EC Regulation 1371/2007, the EU-wide regulation which contains uniform passengers' rights in international rail services in case of delays and train cancellations, has entered into force on 3 December 2009. In Germany, the new passengers' rights have already been in force since 29 July 2009.
These passengers' rights entitle you to claim compensation based on the total price of a through international ticket for international journeys provided that you purchased the ticket from a DB ticket outlet and DB itself participates as a carrier.
Overview of the Deutsche Bahn regulations
DB will fully compensate only for those through international tickets which have been issued by DB and in which DB is part of the transportation as a carrier. (Exemption: tickets which are valid only in Germany, e.g. Munich-Frankfurt, but have been issued by other carriers/sellers than DB. Please send in your compensation claim by using the form hereunder to the mentioned address, see below). Tickets which are valid for routes in one or more countries outside Germany (DB isn’t part of the transportation as a carrier) will not be treated by DB. In such cases please directly contact the relevant carrier which will inform you about the compensation amounts or even if there is a compensation or not. The list with the addresses of the several customer service offices can be found on the bottom of this webpage.
- Passengers with a through international ticket are entitled to compensation amounting to 25 per cent of the fare in case of a delay of more than 60 minutes on international routes.
- Passengers with a through international ticket are entitled to compensation amounting to 50 per cent of the fare in case of a delay of more than 120 minutes on international routes.
- The above compensation is optionally available as a voucher or a cash payment. Vouchers are valid for one year and will be deducted from the fare of your next journey.
- Compensation of less than EUR 4 will not be paid out.
- Applications for compensation for delays concerning international tickets are always handled by the railway undertaking which issued the ticket.
- For international trips on Thalys trains special conditions apply. You will be granted a compensation of 20% on the paid fare for delays of at least 30 minutes or more, 50% of the fare for a delay of 60 minutes or more and 100% of the paid fare for a delay of 120 minutes or more if you decide to take a voucher. When choosing for this option you would have to fill in the Thalys form (s. below) and send it with the original ticket to the address mentioned. For a compensation via cash payment or bank transfer, you will have the compensation rules as described further above, i.e. 25% for 60 min and more, 50% for 120 min and more.
- Passengers using the rail passes InterRail Germany Pass or German Rail Pass, which are valid only in Germany, are entitled to lump-sum compensation of EUR 5.00 (2nd class)/EUR 7.50 (1st class) for each delay, provided there have been at least 3 delays.
- For the international rail passes InterRail Global Pass and Eurail Global / Select / Regional Pass there are specific compensation rules. In order get your compensation please refer to: EURAIL Group G.I.E., P.O. Box 2112, 3500 GC Utrecht, Netherlands or online: www.eurailgroup.com/compensation.aspx
- Compensation claims for the InterRail One Country Passes are to be sent to the relevant carrier(s). In such cases please directly contact the relevant carrier which will inform you about the compensation amounts or even if there is a compensation or not. The list with the addresses of the several customer service offices can be found on the bottom of this webpage.
- Please use the passengers' rights form to ensure you can claim your rights quickly and simply. The form ensures you provide all the information required to process your claim.
- Please send the completed form, together with your original ticket or a copy, to Servicecenter Fahrgastrechte, 60647 Frankfurt am Main, Germany or hand it in to a DB Travel Center or a DB Service Point.
General Conditions of Carriage for Rail Passengers (GCC-CIV/PRR)
Excerpt of the Special Conditions of Carriage (SCIC-NRT) (in German)
List of contacts at the customer service departments responsible for international services
International Trips on Thalys trains: Thalys Compensation Form
To be able to display or print out PDF files, you require the free Adobe Reader. Click here to download Adobe Reader.